Buffalo 8, Syracuse 4: Bisons' Bats Show Up For Packed Crowd

In front of a packed July 3 crowd, the Buffalo Bisons brought their top notch game. Though the team hasn’t been playing well of late, they certainly did tonight, enough for an 8-4 victory of the visiting Syracuse Chiefs.

The Bisons got on the board first in their half of the second inning. With runners on first and second Melky Mesa grounded a ball deep into the shortstop side hole. The defenseman reached the ball, but Mesa’s speed was enough to beat the throw. The infield single drove in the first run of the game. Again with the very next batter Jonathan Diaz grounded the ball right up the middle to drive in another run. The Herd scored the two runs on four consecutive hits.

The Chiefs countered with four straight hits with two outs in the third inning. The rally plated three runs, though the first was a debatable bang-bang play at the plate. The inning ended on a groundball to shortstop, but not before Syracuse took a 3-2 lead.

Buffalo didn’t let the lead stand for long. Luke Scott doubled to the wall in the Bisons’ half of the third. Scott then scored on a Brad Glenn single. The momentum would end there, but not before a tied 3-3 score.

The seesaw style game continued again in the top of the fourth. With bases loaded and no outs a groundball headed toward third base. Third baseman Matt Hauge fielded the ball, stepped on the bag for a force out and threw home in an attempt to make a double play. The runner headed home was out by multiple steps, but catcher Sean Ochinko mistook the tag opportunity for a force out. Ochinko never applied the tag, deeming the runner safe and handing Syracuse a 4-3 lead.

To tie the game, yet again, in the bottom of the fourth the Bisons used a double, sacrifice bunt by Muneori Kawasaki—who was also involved in the very first rally as well—and Mesa base hit to plate a run.

Again in the fifth the Bisons added to their lead. With two runners on base, Alex Hassan drilled a ball down the line for a bases clearing triple. The hit gave Buffalo a 6-4 lead.

Buffalo gave themselves more breathing room in the sixth, scoring two more runs. The additions came off of two defensive snafus. The first, a groundball to shortstop, simply took a bad hop and got into the outfield. The shortstop was not at fault, and rightfully not given an error. The hit did score a run though. The second, however, was an error on the second baseman, allowing a run to score. The ball scooted right between the fielder’s legs and allowed the runner from third to score. Following the sixth the Bisons led 8-4.

The lead would be enough for a victory. The final result certainly thrilled the fans, with over 17,000 happy people wearing smiles—and not just from the fireworks to follow.


Extra Notes:

·      Matt Hauge tallied his 100th hit during today’s game.

·      Jose Valverde pitched. That is all I should have to say for that.

·      Over 17,000 fans attended today’s game.


Mascot Race

With Celery in the lead, poised for her first victory….ever…chaos ensued. Left Shark, the popular mascot famous from this year’s Super Bowl halftime show, sprinted out of the dugout to distract and stall Celery. The random diversion worked, as Atomic Wing took the lead and the victory.